© Chelveston-cum-caldecott Parish Council 2002-14

 

Email: Clerk@Chelveston.org.uk

To contact us:

 

Following the successful invasion of England by William the Conqueror (1066) and the subsequent allocation of land to the King’s followers, the manor of Chelveston cum Caldecott was part of the manor of Higham Ferrers given to his son, William Peverel, along with over 140 others.

 

Over the next 400 years It separated from the Higham Ferrers manor and passed through the families of de Ferrers (1224), Lancaster (1297), de Holand (1333), Lovel (1373 & 1477), and Exeter (1461).

 

After confiscation following the War of the Roses, in 1486 Henry VII granted it to Sir Charles Somerset (later the Earl of Worcester). His grandson, William, passed it to Gerald Pickering (1553), who sold it to John Ekins (1554), whose family held it for 5 generations before it passed to Geoffrey Barton & John Sawyer (1694), then Thomas Allen (1708).

 

Following Thomas Allen’s death, the ownership fell into dispute until it was successfully claimed by the Disbrowe family of Walton Hall, Walton-on-Trent, Derby.  Col Edward Disbrowe (1754-1818) was Vice-Chancellor to Queen Charlotte (wife of George III).  It was during this time the parish was inclosed.  His eldest son, Sir Edward Cromwell Disbrowe (1790-1851), who succeeded him, was a noted diplomat (knighted by William IV in 1831). But as both of Sir Edward’s sons died in conflicts, he gave the manor to his youngest daughter Jane Harriet (1829 –1908).

 

By the marriage to Jane Harriet in 1863, the title passed to Henry Christopher Wise JP DL (1807-1883), of Woodcote House, Warcs, who was the MP for Warwickshire South from 1865-1874.  This was Henry’s second marriage, following the death of his first wife (Harriet) in 1858.

 

Henry Wise appears to have taken his duties seriously and took an interest in the parish, donating materials to the building of the new school.  After his death, Jane continued with donations to parish and the church pulpit is dedicated to her.  Their land agents (Andrew Leighton & James Moyes Gray) lived in the parish.

 

Their son, Lt Col Henry Edward Disbrowe (Disbrowe-) Wise JP CBE (1868—1948), inherited the title from his mother. He was educated at Harrow and at New College, Oxford (B.A. 1891). He married Katherine Mary Levett-Prinsep [b:1875] of Croxall Hall, Staffs, in 1896 and moved to Wall House, Staffs. He served in the 3rd Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters.

 

After the death of his aunt, Charlotte Anne Albinia Disbrowe (1823-1918), he inherited the Disbrowe family estate in Derbyshire and adopted the “Disbrowe-” prefix surname by deed poll in February 1919.  He sold the estate properties in the parish, at a public auction at the Hind Hotel, Wellingborough on 30th July 1919.

 

 

Updated 10/07/2011.

Lords of the Manor